How to Buy
There’s a lot to consider when purchasing a pistol: why you want to buy a pistol, how often you want to use it, the fit and feel of the pistol in your hand, price, and local laws. In this section, we’ll help guide you through the buying process here and in the store.
Remember: Try it before you buy it! When you are ready to try it, you can find an authorized GLOCK dealer by using our Dealer Locator.
Designed for Confidence
GLOCK StoreWe don’t sell GLOCK pistols online, but you can choose from our large selection of accessories, gun parts, apparel, and gifts in our online store.
There are so many pistols available. How do you figure out which one is right for you? It all starts with your reason for buying. We’ve created a quiz to help you narrow down which GLOCK pistols are best for you. TAKE THE QUIZ.
Once you know which model or models you are interested in, find a dealer near you. Dealers can give you expert advice and help you test out various firearms. Our Dealer Locator can help you find a GLOCK dealer near you.
Steps to Buying a Pistol
The most important thing you can do before buying a pistol is to try it. Every pistol is unique in the way it feels, handles, and fires, so testing it out at a range will make sure the firearm you think you want is the right one for you.
Things to think about as you are trying various pistols:
- Needs: Pick the pistol that is best for what you want to do with it. We’ve created a quiz to help you narrow down which GLOCK pistols are best for you. TAKE THE QUIZ.
- Fit: Make sure the pistol fits well in your hand, and the weight and shape of the pistol are comfortable.
- Price: Pistols are available in a wide range of prices, so make sure you are trying models which fit your budget.
Most dealers and ranges will let you try firing various guns to test different sizes and calibers for comfort and fit. Use our Locator to find a dealer or range in your area.
Know the Laws
Know the Laws
Every state has different laws and regulations governing gun ownership. For example, all gun purchases require valid government issued identification and a background check and some states have a mandatory waiting period before you can take it home. Some states also require you to register your pistol when you purchase it. Others require a special license for Concealed Carry. The best way to learn about the regulations in your state is to check your state’s official website.
(NOTE: Government websites have a .gov ending to their URLs, so make sure you are using an official government site when checking your state’s laws.)
Make sure you also check your county’s probate court website, since that’s usually the location where you will go to obtain your license. Those websites will tell you what ID or documents you need to bring with you, and rules about who can apply for licenses.
Remember, being as informed and prepared as possible will make this process much easier!
Having the correct gear is essential when using a firearm. Here are a few pieces of gear and accessories that we recommend when purchasing your GLOCK pistol:
- Eye Protection: Eye protection is a must for target shooting and training. You need comfortable, durable eye protection with high safety ratings and a semi wrap-around feature to protect the sides of your eyes as well as the front.
- Ear Protection: You should always wear ear protection while shooting. This is another must. You can choose between custom-molded ear protection, basic ear plugs or ear muffs.
- Gun Case: Cases help protect your firearm as you transport them. They come with either hard or soft sides, in various styles and price ranges. Your new GLOCK will come in a hard-sided gun case, but you may want to consider a soft-sided case or a case designed to hold multiple firearms and other range accessories.
- Storage: There are lots of options to store your firearm at home or work, including gun cases, combination safes, bio-metric safes, lock boxes, and more. Safely storing your firearm is a very important part of being a responsible gun owner.
- Ammunition: You will need to have the necessary ammunition for practicing at the range or for self defense.
You can find many of these items, as well as a host of other accessories, in the GLOCK STORE.
Start Training Immediately
Every gun is unique in the way it feels, handles, and fires, so it’s important to practice with each gun you own to get as comfortable and familiar with it as possible. If you train on a regular basis, you will build muscle memory for how each gun fires, so you feel natural and comfortable with each one, even in stressful situations.
Do You Need a Training License
Each state has its own rules for how residents can obtain a concealed carry permit. Some states don’t require a permit, and some states require training that includes classroom instruction and/or live-fire qualification. Most states also require a criminal background check to ensure the purchaser is not prohibited, for any reason, from being issued a concealed carry license.
Check your state’s government website to find out what rules your state has for concealed carry. You may need to check your county website as well.